There have been a number of purse thefts in town centres and in supermarket car parks. One lady had put her shopping in the boot of her car, including her handbag, thought she had locked the boot and went to take the trolley back. Unfortunately the boot wasn’t locked and in the space of a few minutes someone had opened the boot and stolen the handbag! The bank cards in her bag could be replaced but not the diary she kept with all her contact details and those of all her friends, as well as family photographs.
Please do be vigilant and be aware of anyone standing too close to you or watching you. These offenders, who are working in groups, are very professional at what they do. Don’t give them the opportunity to steal your purse or handbag There are simple precautions you can take:
• Be aware of people around you when out and about
• Carry your bag close to you with the opening facing inwards
• Keep your bag closed so that your purse cannot be seen
• Don’t carry valuables or large sums of money. Spring clean your bag regularly
• Never leave your bag unattended, particularly in shopping trolleys
• Spread your possessions about – carry your keys in your pocket. Never carry PIN numbers with any cards
• Don’t place your wallet in a back trouser pocket
We do visit victims of these thefts, particularly if address details were in the handbag. As well as carrying out a full security check of the home and fitting devices we also will supply purse cables and purse bells.